Valve, the developer of the popular games’ client “Steam”, announced that the Linux version of its client can now play Windows PC games complete with native Steamworks and OpenVR support.
This is a result of the company‘s efforts to improve quality and performance of Windows compatibility solutions for Steam games by supporting Linux compatibility layers like Wine and eventually integrating these tools directly into Steam so games would run as if they were made for Linux to begin with.
The end result is a modified, open source distribution of Wine known as Proton for the Linux version of Steam. which is a WINE fork made many Windows games, including more recent ones, such as Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3 and Dishonored, playable on Linux.
Steam for Linux features
- Windows games with no Linux version currently available can now be installed and run directly from the Linux Steam client, complete with native Steamworks and OpenVR support.
- DirectX 11 and 12 implementations are now based on Vulkan, resulting in improved game compatibility and reduced performance impact.
- Fullscreen support has been improved: fullscreen games will be seamlessly stretched to the desired display without interfering with the native monitor resolution or requiring the use of a virtual desktop.
- Improved game controller support: games will automatically recognize all controllers supported by Steam. Expect more out-of-the-box controller compatibility than even the original version of the game.
- Performance for multi-threaded games has been greatly improved compared to vanilla Wine
In addition to this, the company outlined an initial list of Windows PC games that are officially supported with more on the way.
Steam for Linux Windows PC games list
- Beat Saber
- Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
- Doki Doki Literature Club
- Doom II: Hell on Earth
- Doom VFR
- Fallout Shelter
- Final Fantasy VI
- Geometry Dash
- Google Earth VR
- Into The Breach
- Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
- Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
- Mount and Blade
- Mount and Blade: With Fire Sword
- Nier: Automata
- Payday: The Heist
- Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
- Star Wars: Battlefront 2
- Tekken 7
- The Last Remnant
- Tropico 4
- Ultimate Doom
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War – Dark Crusade
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War – Soulstorm
Download Steam for Linux: store.steampowered.com/about